AIM Games
Welcome to the AIM Forums, the first Forum to ever be dedicated to Need For Madness!

To post a message/topic on the forums, you must REGISTER.

To REGISTER, click on the Button at the bottom of this message, or else at the top of the page. Without a user on these forums, you can only view some forums available to the public.

Have Fun and Feel free to ask/post anything here NFM related, or else just to chat. We have a chat-room at the bottom of this page, for only registered users to chat on though.
AIM Games
Welcome to the AIM Forums, the first Forum to ever be dedicated to Need For Madness!

To post a message/topic on the forums, you must REGISTER.

To REGISTER, click on the Button at the bottom of this message, or else at the top of the page. Without a user on these forums, you can only view some forums available to the public.

Have Fun and Feel free to ask/post anything here NFM related, or else just to chat. We have a chat-room at the bottom of this page, for only registered users to chat on though.
AIM Games
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official AIM Games Forums

HomeRegisterLog in
Announcements:
HTML has been disabled. I have been kind enough to allow customising of posts, but I guess it's either freedom or no freedom at all.
I am lazy to do Forum Awards this year.

Share | 

Stage Competition General

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kaffeinated
Wanderer
Wanderer
Kaffeinated
Number of posts : 7988

Stage Competition General Empty
PostSubject: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb 2016, 8:55 pm

This is a topic that will stay open throughout the lifespan of the Stage Competition.
Here, ideas and concepts will be planned and discussed, hopefully to be included in the next Stage Competition.

In regards to topic location: idfk lmao

-------------------------------------------------
Submissions

Kaffeinated wrote:
    stage must be made in the last 3 months
    must not have phallic characteristics
    more rules will be added later because I have no idea what I'm doing

Possible things to change:
  • Require all-new stages for the competition
Judging

Kaffeinated wrote:
Stages will be judged differently based on their TYPE. All judges will use the same cars:

Racing Stages
  • La Vite Crab
  • Drifter X
  • Might Eight
Wasting Stages
  • Wow Caninaro
  • Drifter X
  • El King

If your stage is listed as a "mixed type", we will simply choose ONE of the two types that most fits it.

• Limit the number of certain stage types that can be submitted. For instance, in the last competition we had 12 submitted stages, and only 1 or 2 wasting stages. An alternative would be to have 4 slot for wasting, 4 for mixed, 4 for racing. On top of being more interesting for our judges, it will perhaps encourage people to do something abnormal for them (for instance: people that specialize in a certain stage type and only create those).
  • 3 plays for each stage is perhaps too much, 2 plays with 2 different cars would be sufficient
  • Possible replacements for the judging cars? (input needed)

Scoring Sheets

Kaffeinated wrote:
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->.mod<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->5<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Does the .mod fit the stage? Is it obnoxious? Etc.
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->color scheme10<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Does the color scheme work well in creating an atmosphere? Does it strain the eye?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->turn placement30<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Is turning fun or is it a chore? Too many turns? Not enough turns?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->checkpoint placement20<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Do you fly by checkpoints after stunting? Are they placed IMMEDIATELY after turns? Does the placement LOOK nice? Etc.
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->ramp placement20<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Are the ramps in good locations? Could the locations be better?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->obstacle placement15<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Are the obstacles actually obstacles? How easy is it to avoid them?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->repetition<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->(deduct up to 10pts)<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Do the laps get long and drawn out? Is there replay value?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->unnecessary space<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->(deduct up to 10pts)<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Is there too much EMPTY SPACE in the stage? Do you lose power too much?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->carelessness<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->(deduct up to 20pts)<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->How much planning went into the stage? Are pieces not aligned? Does it get cramped? Etc.

WASTING
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->.mod5<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Does the .mod fit the stage? Is it obnoxious? Etc.
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->color scheme10<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Does the color scheme work well in creating an atmosphere? Does it strain the eye?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->fix hoop placement40<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->How easy is it to reach a fix hoop? Is it challenging or just BAD PLACEMENT?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->ramp placement30<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Are the ramps in good locations? Could the locations be better?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->obstacle placement15<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Are the obstacles actually obstacles? How easy is it to avoid them?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->unnecessary space<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->(deduct up to 20pts)<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Is the stage SPACED OUT too much?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->carelessness<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->(deduct up to 20pts)<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->How much planning went into the stage? Are pieces not aligned? Does it get cramped? Etc.
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->

• Bump to 200 maximum points
  • Additional deduction: Novelty (etc fix hoop set hack)
  • Additional deduction: Lack of creativity (pretty broad application here, but something like this would be good)
  • Additional points: layout
  • Sheet for Mixed stage type
  • Add section for the judges to take notes

Badges

Badges are small images placed on the Stage Pass to reward the winner. They may be themed depending on the event.
Currently, the general concept of the badge is created by looking at the deduction section of the winner's score sheet and finding the one with the least deductions. Then, a badge is made to not only reflect the area of expertise, but also introduce a theme.
Psychopsilocybin is helping enormously with the competition images' direction and final appearance.

Schedule

What the plan is:
  • General competition every 2 or 3 months
  • Special events scattered among them
What sort of things do Special events involve? Heavily themed "General" events. For example, a competition where ORIGINAL NFM 1 and NFM 2 stages are submitted, and judged as if they were just created. Obviously for this, there would be no winner, but it would be a fun activity.
Another idea may be RELEASED version stages. For this one, consent would be needed by the version creator.

What Next?

• Give the guys over on this topic access to the final scoring sheets and possibly jumpstart custom stage use in wars
  • Custom Stage Maker with custom pieces, possible special events centered on that

This post will be updated with more ideas periodically, and will be organized at some point as well.

Last edited by Kaffeinated on Sat 27 Feb 2016, 6:19 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : organized and added stuff)
Back to top Go down
http://www.HIRED.com
Kaffeinated
Wanderer
Wanderer
Kaffeinated

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb 2016, 11:40 pm

Judges

• <a href=https://aimgames.forummotion.com/u2868>JackInABox</a>
  • <a href=https://aimgames.forummotion.com/u2969>AileronOwl</a>
  • <a href=https://aimgames.forummotion.com/u2273>JV</a>
  • <a href=https://aimgames.forummotion.com/u3249>Rulue</a>
  • <a href=https://aimgames.forummotion.com/u1498>Afterburn</a>

Anyone on this list can participate as a judge in any competition they choose. Judges must prove themselves as competent.
Applying?
Post here or catch me on the chat. If you have a Gmail address, please PM it to me as the scoring sheets we use are on Google Sheets.

Last edited by Kaffeinated on Sat 27 Feb 2016, 6:57 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
AileronOwl
Collector
Collector
AileronOwl
Number of posts : 520

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2016, 10:14 pm

I think one every 3 months is suitable if this isn't forgotten.
Also, maybe consider having competitions themed on one type of stage (racing, wasting, mixed.)

-Aile
Back to top Go down
Kaffeinated
Wanderer
Wanderer
Kaffeinated

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb 2016, 5:14 am

AileronOwl wrote:
Also, maybe consider having competitions themed on one type of stage (racing, wasting, mixed.)

-Aile

3 months is good, yeah. Hmm...themes....hey, if we have one every 3 months there's room for one All, one Racing, one Wasting, and one Mixed.

On a side note, I think I'll work on the special event next month. Since this is every 3 months, and I did the first one at a strange time, we have all the way til June until the next MAIN event.

NOTE: WANT TO BE A JUDGE IN AN UPCOMING COMPETITION? POST POST POST
Back to top Go down
Silent
Ownage Elite
Ownage Elite
Silent
Number of posts : 4165

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb 2016, 1:29 pm

AileronOwl wrote:

-Aile

I personally think there should be another type, and I'm thinking of AI compatibility themed.
Back to top Go down
Kaffeinated
Wanderer
Wanderer
Kaffeinated

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb 2016, 5:49 pm

Silent wrote:
AileronOwl wrote:

-Aile

I personally think there should be another type, and I'm thinking of AI compatibility themed.

Like I said before there's four main competitions, we'll stick with that for this year. Special events though, we can have an AI compatible theme, sure. If anyone else has suggestions for special themes post away.

I think I'll also see if I can get some people in that are willing to lead events.

Kaffeinated wrote:
Back to top Go down
AileronOwl
Collector
Collector
AileronOwl

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb 2016, 9:05 pm

Silent wrote:
AileronOwl wrote:

-Aile

AI compatibility seems more like a judging factor than a theme. It isn't a bad idea though.

Kaffeinated wrote:

I'm interested in being a judge in a future competition, so here's a POST POST POST

-Aile
Back to top Go down
Kaffeinated
Wanderer
Wanderer
Kaffeinated

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb 2016, 9:29 pm

AI will definitely be a judging factor at some point. Any suggestions on how that could be "measured" though? New pieces mess up the AI in spite of any compatibility, so if there are new pieces, they would have to be ignored.
Racing AI is self-explanatory, and the hardest to fix. All that really matters for wasting AI is a good fix point.

Also, I don't know if I brought this up.. we were unable to judge the .mods last competition as we could only find two or three on our own. So for the next competition we will ask you to send the .mod with your stage.
Back to top Go down
Wake
Half Life
Half Life
Wake
Number of posts : 1764

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeSat 27 Feb 2016, 8:23 am

Kaffeinated wrote:

3 months is good, yeah. Hmm...themes....hey, if we have one every 3 months there's room for one All, one Racing, one Wasting, and one Mixed.

On a side note, I think I'll work on the special event next month. Since this is every 3 months, and I did the first one at a strange time, we have all the way til June until the next MAIN event.

I guess I'll take the first opportunity for a judging spot here. Count me in.

~Wake.
Back to top Go down
Rulue
King Of Fools
King Of Fools
Rulue
Number of posts : 802

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeSat 27 Feb 2016, 9:32 am

I would like to participate as judge here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi8qdIWgecCkOgCpK_DmX_g
Kaffeinated
Wanderer
Wanderer
Kaffeinated

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeSun 28 Feb 2016, 12:58 am

You're on the list!

For anyone else who is interested in applying, refer to this before posting https://aimgames.forummotion.com/t4296-stage-competition-general#411096
Back to top Go down
Silent
Ownage Elite
Ownage Elite
Silent
Number of posts : 4165

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2016, 3:09 pm

I would be willing to be a judge.
Back to top Go down
AileronOwl
Collector
Collector
AileronOwl

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeSun 08 May 2016, 10:08 pm

Any ideas as to when the next event will be? Last event was during January & February, I think.

-Aile
Back to top Go down
Kaffeinated
Wanderer
Wanderer
Kaffeinated

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeSun 08 May 2016, 10:37 pm

coming up here in june
Back to top Go down
Kaffeinated
Wanderer
Wanderer
Kaffeinated

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitimeSun 08 May 2016, 11:16 pm

Suggestions for Scoring Sheets are welcome!

We require a new sheet for Mixed type, and possible revisions to Racing and Wasting
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stage Competition General   Stage Competition General Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stage Competition General

View previous topic View next topic Back to top