AIM Games
Welcome to the AIM Forums, the first Forum to ever be dedicated to Need For Madness!

To post a message/topic on the forums, you must REGISTER.

To REGISTER, click on the Button at the bottom of this message, or else at the top of the page. Without a user on these forums, you can only view some forums available to the public.

Have Fun and Feel free to ask/post anything here NFM related, or else just to chat. We have a chat-room at the bottom of this page, for only registered users to chat on though.


The Official AIM Games Forums
 
HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in
Announcements:
HTML has been disabled. I have been kind enough to allow customising of posts, but I guess it's either freedom or no freedom at all.
I am lazy to do Forum Awards this year.

Share | 
 

 NFM Speedrunning

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SheppardkillerYT
Amateur
Amateur
avatar
Number of posts : 53

Age : 16
Join Date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 3:59 am

yeah and wasting also costs you more runs than racing but I've noticed that you could get possibly 24 second laps? on stage 3 which is pretty crazy considering how many checkpoints you have to go through and also not get fucked by any of the cars and get perfect ramp executions which is what I'm calling the edge ramp trick now.
Back to top Go down
SinfulBliss
Mercenary
Mercenary
avatar
Number of posts : 1265

Age : 25
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 4:06 am

SheppardkillerYT wrote:
yeah and wasting also costs you more runs than racing but I've noticed that you could get possibly 24 second laps? on stage 3 which is pretty crazy considering how many checkpoints you have to go through and also not get fucked by any of the cars and get perfect ramp executions which is what I'm calling the edge ramp trick now.

I've found that you have to balance risk with reward. The edge ramp trick you're talking about is slightly risky, because if you mess up and take too little of the ramp, then you won't be able to stunt. For that reason on Stage 1 I just take the full ramp. These small details are pretty unimportant -- it's much more likely you ruin your run because of massive mistakes than little details like this.

I'm also curious whether it's worth it to reset the game to get different car setups at the start. Depending on what cars are in what stage, the stage could be a lot easier/harder to race/waste. For example, I've found that having EL KING in Stage 11 makes it go by a lot faster, because he helps you kill the other cars and he's also pretty easy to kill because of his large hit box and slow speed. Surprisingly, Nimi is a pain in the ass to kill.


Last edited by SinfulBliss on Sat 06 May 2017, 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rafa1231518
Young Owner
Young Owner
avatar
Number of posts : 348

Age : 48
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 4:17 am

SinfulBliss wrote:
Okay, so here's what we have currently for how to consistently run the game most efficiently:

Stage 1 - The Introductory Stage - Race (Formula 7)

Stage 2 - Contrary To Popular Belief - Race (Formula 7)

Stage 3 - Do The Snake Dance - Race (Formula 7)

Stage 4 - Grapefruit Power - Race (Formula 7)

Stage 5 - He Is Coming For You Next - Race (Formula 7)

Stage 6 - Paninaro| Caninaro| Let's fly! - Race (Formula 7)

Stage 7 - When In Danger Just Chill Out - Waste (EL KING)

Stage 8 - The Fast & The Furious + The Radical - Race (Formula 7)

Stage 9 - The Beach Arcade Dream - Race (Radical One)

Stage 10 - Confusion In An Illusion - Race (Radical One)

Stage 11 - The Mad Party - Waste (DR Monstaa)


Notice I said "consistently." You can probably waste faster on Stage 10, Stage 5, and even Stage 3; but it's risky. Also, if you get nervous, Stage 11 might actually take longer by Wasting.

way back in the day i used to waste in stage 8 and it worked fairly well most of the time. is this still a valid strategy?
Back to top Go down
http://bees.com
SinfulBliss
Mercenary
Mercenary
avatar
Number of posts : 1265

Age : 25
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 4:31 am

rafa1231518 wrote:
way back in the day i used to waste in stage 8 and it worked fairly well most of the time. is this still a valid strategy?

I honestly haven't tested that, but let's theorize. With F7, let's say you do Stage 8 in 2:26 (a decent time). You'd have to take out R1, probably F7, and another two in 3 laps with EK. F7 you could finish in one hit, but I doubt you could take out the others in one hit unless you get lucky and get LVC or someone.

You probably have 2 shots at taking someone out per lap, and it involves driving all the way across the stage in EL KING a bunch of times. I think by the time you take out your last car you will have exceeded 2:26 by a good bit. I haven't tested it to be fair, but at least in NFMM's version of NFM1, I wouldn't say it's valid.
Back to top Go down
XYLO
Owned Gamer
Owned Gamer

Number of posts : 104

Age : 24
Join Date : 2015-12-23

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 11:29 am

Wait till I get home and I will upload a very useful glitch Smile
Back to top Go down
SheppardkillerYT
Amateur
Amateur
avatar
Number of posts : 53

Age : 16
Join Date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 12:29 pm

A very useful glitch eh? I hope it's not like really hard to do like some games have.
Back to top Go down
XYLO
Owned Gamer
Owned Gamer

Number of posts : 104

Age : 24
Join Date : 2015-12-23

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 2:05 pm

Back to top Go down
SheppardkillerYT
Amateur
Amateur
avatar
Number of posts : 53

Age : 16
Join Date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 2:47 pm

I'll check it after I get home in the next 6 hours to see it.
Back to top Go down
rafa1231518
Young Owner
Young Owner
avatar
Number of posts : 348

Age : 48
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 5:44 pm

XYLO wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzDPZR0exg&feature=youtu.be Useful-glitch

well shit. how did i never spot that?
since this critically affects the balance of the game i think it should be banned outside of TAS or at least placed under a different category. (any% glitch-free and any% w/ glitches)
Back to top Go down
http://bees.com
Enigma
Royalty
Royalty
avatar
Number of posts : 5838

Age : 17
Join Date : 2013-04-11

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 7:29 pm

SinfulBliss wrote:
rafa1231518 wrote:
way back in the day i used to waste in stage 8 and it worked fairly well most of the time. is this still a valid strategy?

I honestly haven't tested that, but let's theorize. With F7, let's say you do Stage 8 in 2:26 (a decent time). You'd have to take out R1, probably F7, and another two in 3 laps with EK. F7 you could finish in one hit, but I doubt you could take out the others in one hit unless you get lucky and get LVC or someone.

You probably have 2 shots at taking someone out per lap, and it involves driving all the way across the stage in EL KING a bunch of times. I think by the time you take out your last car you will have exceeded 2:26 by a good bit. I haven't tested it to be fair, but at least in NFMM's version of NFM1, I wouldn't say it's valid.

I find wasting on Stage 8 frustrating and inconsistent. It's meant to be one of, if not the most race oriented stage in the game. Also 2:26 is a bad time. That gives you around 49 seconds per lap...which is very slow.

rafa1231518 wrote:
XYLO wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzDPZR0exg&feature=youtu.be Useful-glitch

well shit. how did i never spot that?
since this critically affects the balance of the game i think it should be banned outside of TAS or at least placed under a different category. (any% glitch-free and any% w/ glitches)

Yes, I agree this should be banned in ordinary speedruns, since it's basically game breaking
Back to top Go down
Enigma
Royalty
Royalty
avatar
Number of posts : 5838

Age : 17
Join Date : 2013-04-11

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 7:37 pm

Added recommended strategy for Speedrunning NFM1 to the first post (thanks Sinful).
Back to top Go down
SheppardkillerYT
Amateur
Amateur
avatar
Number of posts : 53

Age : 16
Join Date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 8:01 pm

Put this on the official speedrun forum on the speedrun website so I can make the categories when I get home even though I'm gonna have to duplicate everything for glitchless which is a big hassle if you don't believe the guy who's the only one in charge of it right now
Back to top Go down
SheppardkillerYT
Amateur
Amateur
avatar
Number of posts : 53

Age : 16
Join Date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 8:06 pm

rafa1231518 wrote:
XYLO wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzDPZR0exg&feature=youtu.be Useful-glitch

well shit. how did i never spot that?
since this critically affects the balance of the game i think it should be banned outside of TAS or at least placed under a different category. (any% glitch-free and any% w/ glitches)

Also, seriously? Glitch-free and Any% w/ glitches? It's Any% Glitchless and Any% basically. I know the terms for the true category names and I'm not trying to be mean here but I do know the true official category names for speed games. It's basically easy to find a game where it has the category names Any% and Any% Glitchless not the two category terms (well you tried I'll give you credit (also not being mean here)) you tried to list above. Again put this in the forum on the speedrun website so I can take care of it.
Back to top Go down
rafa1231518
Young Owner
Young Owner
avatar
Number of posts : 348

Age : 48
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 8:24 pm

SheppardkillerYT wrote:
rafa1231518 wrote:
XYLO wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzDPZR0exg&feature=youtu.be Useful-glitch

well shit. how did i never spot that?
since this critically affects the balance of the game i think it should be banned outside of TAS or at least placed under a different category. (any% glitch-free and any% w/ glitches)

Also, seriously? Glitch-free and Any% w/ glitches? It's Any% Glitchless and Any% basically. I know the terms for the true category names and I'm not trying to be mean here but I do know the true official category names for speed games. It's basically easy to find a game where it has the category names Any% and Any% Glitchless not the two category terms (well you tried I'll give you credit (also not being mean here)) you tried to list above. Again put this in the forum on the speedrun website so I can take care of it.

lmao what the fuck are you on about you made an entire post about how i 'mis-used' a term topkek
the passive aggression is real

also the term 'glitchless' is way too vague because AB is technically a glitch. maybe Any% No-CSG (car select glitch) then?
Back to top Go down
http://bees.com
SinfulBliss
Mercenary
Mercenary
avatar
Number of posts : 1265

Age : 25
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 9:11 pm

rafa1231518 wrote:
well shit. how did i never spot that?
since this critically affects the balance of the game i think it should be banned outside of TAS or at least placed under a different category. (any% glitch-free and any% w/ glitches)

Also baffled how I missed that, having played the game so many times. I wonder if it's only on NFMM's version of NFM1, because I can't imagine I would've never run into it. I agree it should be banned from at least the current runs.

Enigma wrote:
Also 2:26 is a bad time. That gives you around 49 seconds per lap...which is very slow.

That's the current world record time for NG Any %. It's with F7 first of all, and second of all it's part of an 11-track run. The lack of AB slows the time down drastically.

Enigma wrote:
Added recommended strategy for Speedrunning NFM1 to the first post (thanks Sinful).

I wouldn't call it the recommended for everyone; it depends on what you're used to and how you like to play. You should add in the OP that's just my way of it.

SheppardkillerYT wrote:
even though I'm gonna have to duplicate everything for glitchless which is a big hassle if you don't believe the guy who's the only one in charge of it right now

I wouldn't say you have to duplicate everything for glitchless. We should just ban the glitch, I don't think anyone is going to care to try for the WR with the glitch. Maybe when it gets more popular you should add more categories, but right now most of the categories aren't used as it is. Also, if you need help just give me a shout.

rafa1231518 wrote:
also the term 'glitchless' is way too vague because AB is technically a glitch. maybe Any% No-CSG (car select glitch) then?

I was thinking this as well. If we make a "glitchless" category then we have to start talking about AB, bouncing, going through walls, etc. "No-CSG" would work but that's too specific, no one's going to run that category so I'd just ban the glitch until further notice.


Last edited by SinfulBliss on Wed 10 May 2017, 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheppardkillerYT
Amateur
Amateur
avatar
Number of posts : 53

Age : 16
Join Date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 9:28 pm

My stage 8 is a 2:28 and that had no AB usage for F7 for that stage at all at the time. Also MY FUCKING LAPTOP IS DOWN. I fucking hate that my laptop is now stuck on the Repairing disk errors screen now and I have to fucking wait for it to be fixed but if it doesn't get resolved then I fucking lost my laptop and can't do streaming which means I can't do my run for the marathon if it got accepted even though it seemed like it made it passed the first selection.
Back to top Go down
rafa1231518
Young Owner
Young Owner
avatar
Number of posts : 348

Age : 48
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 9:32 pm

SinfulBliss wrote:
no one's going to run that category
what are you on about i would totally run that! r1 on every stage? hell yeah

also sheppard get at least one of us on the mod team for the speedrun.com page because you can't handle the weight alone

also to address what sinful said on the speedrun.com page forums: time should start when the camera shifts from panning around the cars to the 3-2-1-go view because that happens at the same time consistently on every platform and every version of the game. and, since you can skip the pan-around by pressing any key, you can start your timer at the exact same time.
Back to top Go down
http://bees.com
SinfulBliss
Mercenary
Mercenary
avatar
Number of posts : 1265

Age : 25
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 9:46 pm

rafa1231518 wrote:
SinfulBliss wrote:
no one's going to run that category
also to address what sinful said on the speedrun.com page forums: time should start when the camera shifts from panning around the cars to the 3-2-1-go view because that happens at the same time consistently on every platform and every version of the game. and, since you can skip the pan-around by pressing any key, you can start your timer at the exact same time.

You can't skip the pan-around with any key, just spacebar and maybe a couple more. But I agree, that's the objectively best place to start the NG run. Should we adopt this starting point for single level runs too though? In the previous speedrun topic, DS's timer started at "Go." It seems a bit strange that an extra few seconds will be added to every single level run, especially when certain single level runs aren't but a minute long.
Back to top Go down
rafa1231518
Young Owner
Young Owner
avatar
Number of posts : 348

Age : 48
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Thu 04 May 2017, 10:04 pm

SinfulBliss wrote:
rafa1231518 wrote:
SinfulBliss wrote:
no one's going to run that category
also to address what sinful said on the speedrun.com page forums: time should start when the camera shifts from panning around the cars to the 3-2-1-go view because that happens at the same time consistently on every platform and every version of the game. and, since you can skip the pan-around by pressing any key, you can start your timer at the exact same time.

You can't skip the pan-around with any key, just spacebar and maybe a couple more. But I agree, that's the objectively best place to start the NG run. Should we adopt this starting point for single level runs too though? In the previous speedrun topic, DS's timer started at "Go." It seems a bit strange that an extra few seconds will be added to every single level run, especially when certain single level runs aren't but a minute long.

i suppose for single stage runs it makes a lot more sense to start at 'go'.
Back to top Go down
http://bees.com
SheppardkillerYT
Amateur
Amateur
avatar
Number of posts : 53

Age : 16
Join Date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Fri 05 May 2017, 12:11 am

Regarding to the glitch for selecting the cars, I will test to see if it's consistent enough so you don't have to keep attempting to select the same car.

EDIT: Ok so apparently it's 100% consistent as I immediately tried it so I guess it's viable. It's also possible to do this for the NFM 2 cars as well :/ What a great select screen.
Back to top Go down
rafa1231518
Young Owner
Young Owner
avatar
Number of posts : 348

Age : 48
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Fri 05 May 2017, 1:35 am

the speedrun.com page still looks like a bag of turds so if you can make me a moderator (or at least sinfulbliss) either of us could do a fair job at making it look less like a pile of excrement
Back to top Go down
http://bees.com
SheppardkillerYT
Amateur
Amateur
avatar
Number of posts : 53

Age : 16
Join Date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Fri 05 May 2017, 1:14 pm

Hey I fucking tried alright. Don't be an asshole to someone who fucking spent 5 hours continuously trying to set everything up once the page became official to at least make it look like someone is dedicated to it.

Also why the name Fullonrapist? you could've used the name on this forum here to make it easily recognizable for me so I don't fuck myself up trying to figure out who is who.

I modded both of you. Y'all happy now? You're lucky I'm sick today to not deal with much shit today.
Back to top Go down
SinfulBliss
Mercenary
Mercenary
avatar
Number of posts : 1265

Age : 25
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Fri 05 May 2017, 6:48 pm

Chill bro, why are you mad lol. I edited your posts into one post, just use the Edit button next time.

EDIT: Also for Rafa, if you want to make your name consistent with the one on Aim: https://www.speedrun.com/The_Site/thread/frjsy
Back to top Go down
rafa1231518
Young Owner
Young Owner
avatar
Number of posts : 348

Age : 48
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Fri 05 May 2017, 9:00 pm

SheppardkillerYT wrote:
Hey I fucking tried alright. Don't be an asshole to someone who fucking spent 5 hours continuously trying to set everything up once the page became official to at least make it look like someone is dedicated to it.

Also why the name Fullonrapist? you could've used the name on this forum here to make it easily recognizable for me so I don't fuck myself up trying to figure out who is who.

I modded both of you. Y'all happy now? You're lucky I'm sick today to not deal with much shit today.

take a chill pill pal, you should know by now that i call everything i don't make a pile of shit. some people refer to me as "an asshole" or "an insufferable cunt."

so now you gotta step back and stop taking shit at face value, go and take care of your fuckin studies and shit, and hop on back when you're good.

edit: i've gone ahead and fixed up the page and made some new logos, i'll proofread the rules later
Back to top Go down
http://bees.com
SinfulBliss
Mercenary
Mercenary
avatar
Number of posts : 1265

Age : 25
Join Date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   Fri 05 May 2017, 10:19 pm

Another point to raise: Are we banning the F7/LO invincibility glitch for Waste-only? I've tested it and I think it's too slow to use for NG Any %, but I don't think it should be banned since it was left in the game just like AB was.

It's also not game-breaking like the car select glitch is. It takes a bit of finessing to pull off with other cars racing and wasting on the track.


Last edited by SinfulBliss on Fri 05 May 2017, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content



PostSubject: Re: NFM Speedrunning   

Back to top Go down
 

NFM Speedrunning

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AIM Games :: Need For Madness :: NFM Discussion :: Activities! :: Challenges!-