AIM Games
Welcome to the AIM Forums, the first Forum to ever be dedicated to Need For Madness!

To post a message/topic on the forums, you must REGISTER.

To REGISTER, click on the Button at the bottom of this message, or else at the top of the page. Without a user on these forums, you can only view some forums available to the public.

Have Fun and Feel free to ask/post anything here NFM related, or else just to chat. We have a chat-room at the bottom of this page, for only registered users to chat on though.
AIM Games
Welcome to the AIM Forums, the first Forum to ever be dedicated to Need For Madness!

To post a message/topic on the forums, you must REGISTER.

To REGISTER, click on the Button at the bottom of this message, or else at the top of the page. Without a user on these forums, you can only view some forums available to the public.

Have Fun and Feel free to ask/post anything here NFM related, or else just to chat. We have a chat-room at the bottom of this page, for only registered users to chat on though.
AIM Games
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official AIM Games Forums

HomeRegisterLog in
Announcements:
HTML has been disabled. I have been kind enough to allow customising of posts, but I guess it's either freedom or no freedom at all.
I am lazy to do Forum Awards this year.

Share | 

What is NFMM lacking?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Akalonor
King Of Fools
King Of Fools
Akalonor
Number of posts : 809

What is NFMM lacking? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is NFMM lacking?   What is NFMM lacking? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2015, 10:28 am

In my opinion I think what I would like to see in NFMM is a rank system for clans like games on console like Call Of Duty for example Like when people have wars you can unlock various special things for the sake if of the clan unlocking stuff like bonus cars,tracks, etc...
Back to top Go down
http://needformadness.forumotion.com/
RayStriker
Code Thief

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: What is NFMM lacking?   What is NFMM lacking? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2015, 12:35 pm

Maker hosted events so people can race for prizes and battles more events :>
Back to top Go down
RayStriker
Code Thief

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: What is NFMM lacking?   What is NFMM lacking? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2015, 4:45 pm

and if possible if there are gm hosted events can you add new interesting maps?
and make us see other players + position whilst using guidance arrow
Back to top Go down
Xtream Rider
Noob
Noob
Xtream Rider
Number of posts : 2880

PostSubject: Re: What is NFMM lacking?   What is NFMM lacking? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2015, 4:48 pm

Please don't Double Post.
Use the "Edit" Button to post at once.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi0XOL08GseULXMqqfbBsig
Venomalix
Half Life
Half Life
Venomalix
Number of posts : 1904

PostSubject: Re: What is NFMM lacking?   What is NFMM lacking? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2015, 3:53 am

NFM's car maker could use some better looks visual wise.
I was thinking perhaps it could use a little test track, where you could adjust the colors and scenery. Then your car would be placed on it to simulate how it would look ingame on the track.

And maybe more scenery like buildings, trees, hedges, rivers, bridges, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://nfmc.forumotion.com
DragShot
Game Reaper
Game Reaper
DragShot
Number of posts : 884

PostSubject: Re: What is NFMM lacking?   What is NFMM lacking? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2016, 6:29 pm

Rise... rise, old topic... rise from the dead!

*Ahem!* So, what I would like to see ever introduced into the game (aside what's been proposed already) is the following:

- True fullscreen mode, using BufferedStrategy and Swing lightweight components instead of AWT. It would help accelerating things a bit.
- Unlocked framerate. You guys might say that this would affect the speed the game world is processed, but nope. I've run tests and it's actually possible to set a fixed tickrate while letting the game render as many frames per second as possible. Even better, by applying interpolation between ticks it's possible to achieve smooth animations and movement for a real 60fps experience (at least in stages that aren't too crowded, and running the game in a decent PC).
- Multiresolution and video modes (for real). The engine used in NfmM has hidden support for a dynamic viewport, so again, this is possible.

Yes, I did all of those under an still experimental build of mine, so I know it is possible. While it doesn't really improve at all the simple cartoonish look of the game (which we like anyway), it manages to look way better, specially with highly detailed models or while performing stunts.
Back to top Go down
http://dragshot.webcindario.com/software
Phyrexian
True Gamer
True Gamer
Phyrexian
Number of posts : 3597

PostSubject: Re: What is NFMM lacking?   What is NFMM lacking? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2016, 10:28 pm

DragShot wrote:
Rise... rise, old topic... rise from the dead!

*Ahem!* So, what I would like to see ever introduced into the game (aside what's been proposed already) is the following:

- True fullscreen mode, using BufferedStrategy and Swing lightweight components instead of AWT. It would help accelerating things a bit.
- Unlocked framerate. You guys might say that this would affect the speed the game world is processed, but nope. I've run tests and it's actually possible to set a fixed tickrate while letting the game render as many frames per second as possible. Even better, by applying interpolation between ticks it's possible to achieve smooth animations and movement for a real 60fps experience (at least in stages that aren't too crowded, and running the game in a decent PC).
- Multiresolution and video modes (for real). The engine used in NfmM has hidden support for a dynamic viewport, so again, this is possible.

Yes, I did all of those under an still experimental build of mine, so I know it is possible. While it doesn't really improve at all the simple cartoonish look of the game (which we like anyway), it manages to look way better, specially with highly detailed models or while performing stunts.

Does the uncapped FPS actually work? I tried adding a deltaTime variable and adding it to the movement equations but I couldn't make sense of Omar's code for the car physics... did you use the same approach?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PhyrexianNFM
Maxine
Rookie
Rookie
Maxine
Number of posts : 144

PostSubject: Re: What is NFMM lacking?   What is NFMM lacking? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2016, 2:08 am

<style type="text/css">pre {max-height: 200px;overflow: auto;background-color: #000;border: solid 1px #1c1c1c;margin: 0;margin-left: 60px;}samp {color: #ff6913;font-family: Courier,"Courier New","Source Code Pro",monospace;}</style>
DragShot wrote:
True fullscreen mode
i didn't know you could do true fullscreen with Swing, i thought it was just borderless windowed, thats neat dude

Phyrexian wrote:
I couldn't make sense of Omar's code for the car physics

well i don't think anyone aside from him-fucking-self can, it was put together with sticks and stones...
the entire physics system lies in madness/mad.drive and madness/mad.colide, there are values for the current and last-frame XYZ values of each wheel, the collision system is relatively simple but because of the way its handled it ends up being the most annoying thing to handle when implementing delta time because that prevents you from "cheating" to put it one way by multiplying the XYZ difference by delta time.

as long as you split the model collisions from the movement code you should be able to implement it with not much more pain than you'd expect.
but that's just a theory! a gay theory!

DragShot wrote:
i've done this, its surprisingly easy, by dynamic viewport you mean apx and apy right?

honestly though what needs to be fixed, if you forget the fact most of the code is awful, is the AI which is designed to race only on the ground. <!-- phy your signature is pretty edgy dude youre making yourself look like a 12 year old -->
Back to top Go down
http://bees.com
DragShot
Game Reaper
Game Reaper
DragShot
Number of posts : 884

PostSubject: Re: What is NFMM lacking?   What is NFMM lacking? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2016, 3:01 am

Phyrexian wrote:
Does the uncapped FPS actually work? I tried adding a deltaTime variable and adding it to the movement equations but I couldn't make sense of Omar's code for the car physics... did you use the same approach?

No, after giving it a look I completely gave up on that. Plus, I tried to project this into multiplayer and almost instantly pictured the lots of problems a delta-based world processing would cause. So I decided to look around for some ideas, looking into forums and stuff, then I remembered TF2 for some reason, and thus, Source. I checked on the wiki how the networking worked for Source-powered games, and found that the world was simulated at a fixed step rate (ticks). If the client was running with more fps (frames) than tps (ticks), interpolation can be applied to smooth the movement of objects around the map.

Then, I looked about interpolation, and linear interpolation seemed cheap enough while acceptable for short amounts of time, like one of the 21 world updates per second used by Omar in NfmM. So, I added delta and a tick parameter, and based on how much time has passed since the last tick, the game would interpolate positions and angles for all the cars before Medium and ContO were called for rendering, then it would set those values back to normal for Mad to process the collisions and movement, should the moment arise. The only problem was, I needed at least two states recorded for this to work.

Fortunately, I didn't need to do much, as there was Record. I added two methods in it for applying and then rolling back the interpolation, using the two last recorded states, and it worked. Of course some additional work was needed for the camera to properly follow the player, I'm still on it right now, although the follow camera is working fine already.

rafa1231518 wrote:
<style type="text/css">pre {max-height: 200px;overflow: auto;background-color: #000;border: solid 1px #1c1c1c;margin: 0;margin-left: 60px;}samp {color: #ff6913;font-family: Courier,"Courier New","Source Code Pro",monospace;}</style>
DragShot wrote:
True fullscreen mode
i didn't know you could do true fullscreen with Swing, i thought it was just borderless windowed, thats neat dude.

Apparently you can, all you need is to disable the passive-rendering mechanism integrated into Swing by invoking JFrame.setIgnoreRepaint() and then issuing a custom RepaintManager that will either ignore repaint requests or mark the whole window area as dirty.

rafa1231518 wrote:
As long as you split the model collisions from the movement code you should be able to implement it with not much more pain than you'd expect.
but that's just a theory! a gay theory!

Yeah, I also had to rearrange some of the presentation codes in GameSparker.run() for the interpolation to properly work, mainly separating codes for camera movement, game rendering and world updating (which were all messed up together) and placing them in the order: world update first (if needed), game state record (if the world was updated), camera movement, world rendering and HUD rendering. Then it worked.

Although if I place the camera movement before the call to Record, it would result an interesting follow up effect like the multiplayer follow cam, but nicer.

rafa1231518 wrote:
DragShot wrote:
i've done this, its surprisingly easy, by dynamic viewport you mean apx and apy right?

Actually... no, I used the variables w, h, cx, cy, cz and focus_point inside Medium, although if there's an even simpler way to do it I'm all ears.

To be specific, I used this code snippet in xtGraphics, keeping the "Head to Head" 2 player mode on mind:

Code:
    public void load(Graphics2D rd, int w, int h){
        this.rd=rd;
        this.w=w;
        this.h=h;
        if(versus){
            if(((float)w/(h))>4F/3F){ //Horizontal split
                if(this.m.w/2!=w || this.m.h!=h){
                    this.m.w=w/2;
                    this.m.h=h;
                    this.m.focus_point=(int)(h*(8.0F/9.0F));
                    this.m.cx=w/4;
                    this.m.cy=h/2;
                    this.m.cz=50;
                }
            }else{ //Vertical split
                if(this.m.w!=w || this.m.h/2!=h){
                    this.m.w=w;
                    this.m.h=h/2;
                    this.m.focus_point=(int)(h*(4.0F/9.0F));
                    this.m.cx=w/2;
                    this.m.cy=h/4;
                    this.m.cz=50;
                }
            }
        }else{
            if(this.m.w!=w || this.m.h!=h){
                this.m.w=w;
                this.m.h=h;
                this.m.focus_point=(int)(h*(8.0F/9.0F));
                this.m.cx=w/2;
                this.m.cy=h/2;
                this.m.cz=50;
            }
        }
    }

It is called once during each rendering process. How did you do it, btw?

rafa1231518 wrote:
honestly though what needs to be fixed, if you forget the fact most of the code is awful, is the AI which is designed to race only on the ground.

So much of this. Maybe Gravy could illustrate us more about it, as he's done successfully several tweaks to the Nfm2 AI.
Back to top Go down
http://dragshot.webcindario.com/software
PixelCrunchNFM
Code Thief
PixelCrunchNFM
Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: What is NFMM lacking?   What is NFMM lacking? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jul 2018, 2:33 pm

I believe that NFMM should support .midi files, because .mod, .xm, ect. Are too difficult to set up for me. Maybe it could even support .mp3 files too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is NFMM lacking?   What is NFMM lacking? - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is NFMM lacking?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top